HOME ABOUT US CONTACT US PHOTO GALLERY LINKS

Maremma Laziale Versione Italiana Versione Italiana
Getting Here ...
Hotels
Farm Holidays
Self-catering
B&B / Rooms
Hostels
Holiday homes
Property lets
Campsites/RV
Restaurants
Pubs/Winebars
Beach Lidos
Associations
News
Weather


CANINO - monuments & MUSEUMS
 

Archeological Museum of Vulci



Chiesa di S. Andrea e Giovanni
Also known as the Chiesa Collegiata, this is Canino's main church, dedicated to St. Andrew and St. John. Built in the 13th Century in the Baroque style, inside are various important works of art, a font from the 1500s and the Neoclassic chapel dedicated to the Prince of Canino, Luciano Bonaparte. The brother of Napoleon, Luciano rebuilt a large part of the town, created the Terme di Musignano and was active in the archaeological digs in Vulci. The chapel contains a bas-relief attributed to Canova.

Outside, in Piazza De Andreis, is a twelve-sided fountain by Vignola.



Convento di San Francesco - Canino
At the top of town, this complex was commissioned by Francesco Farnese in the 15th Century, incorporating the remains of a Romanic structure.
Now in the process of being renovated, there's a conference room and several other rooms, sometimes used for exhibitions.
The cloister and chapel are often used for local weddings.



   
Teatro comunale - Canino
Inaugurated in 1891, the theatre is one of the most obvious results of the period when Napoleon's brother Luciano was the Prince of Canino.
The exterior has recently been restored, while the interior is in the process of being restored to its former splendour (the original wooden balconies and seats were stripped in the 1970s when the theatre was used as a dance hall and cinema.